The lower and upper age limit will be reckoned as indicated in the individual Employment Notification. The upper age limit is relax able as under, subject to submission of requisite certificate.
- By 3 years for OBC candidates.
- For Ex-Servicemen, up to the extent of service rendered in Defence plus 3 years provided they have put in more than 6 months service after attestation. For Ex serviceman applying for the Apprentice categories of posts i.e. Traffic Apprentice and Commercial Apprentice the upper age limit is 40 years inclusive of all other relaxation in age limit
- By 5 years for persons who were ordinarily domiciled in the Kashmir Division of the State of Jammu & Kashmir from 01/01/1980 to 31/12/1989.
- By 10 years for Physically Handicapped candidates irrespective of the fact whether the post is reserved or not, provided the post is identified as suitable for PWDs. In addition,the candidates belonging to OBC and SC / ST are eligible for normal relaxation of 3 and 5 years respectively.
- For the serving Group ‘C’ and Group ‘D’ Railway Staff and casual labours/ substitutes, the relaxation in upper age limits will be up to 40 years for Unreserved candidates, 45 years for SC/ST candidates and 43 years for OBC candidates, provided they have put in a minimum of 3 years service (continuous or in broken spells). For those working in Quasi-Administrative offices of the Railway organization such as Railway Canteens, Cooperative Societies and Institutes, the relaxation in upper age limits will be up to the length of service rendered subject to maximum 5 years.
- Upper age limit in case of widows, divorced women and women judicially separated from the husband but not remarried shall be relaxed up to 35 years for Unreserved, 38 for OBC and 40 years for SC/ST candidates.
- (a) The upper age limit in case of course completed act apprentices applying for those posts whose minimum qualification is ITI/Course completed Act apprentice shall be relaxed to the extent of apprentice training undergone by them under the Apprenticeship Act 1961. (b) Upper age limit for the Course Completed Act Apprentice will be 35 years if he / she had commenced Act Apprenticeship under the Apprenticeship Act before attaining the age of 25 years. In addition the candidates belonging to SC / ST / OBC are eligible for normal relaxation of 5 years and 3 years respectively
- No age relaxation is allowed to SC/ST/OBC candidates applying against unreserved vacancies.